Try this Indo-Chinese style clear vegetable noodle soup. It’s lightly spiced and mild and packed with veggies.
The noodle soup has a subtle sour taste with umami flavor. It’s an easy-to-make Indo-Chinese style recipe. Enjoy it as a light dinner or a starter before a South Asian meal. No accompaniments are needed.
In this vegetable noodle soup, you can add various veggies like mushrooms, bok choy, broccoli, snap beans, green beans, cabbage, carrots, peas, zucchini, corn, and baby corn.
Use any type of noodles: whole wheat, rice, or instant. Soups are comforting in winter.
The soup is clear. For a thick soup, add potato starch, cornflour, or arrowroot flour. It is not spicy, but you can make it spicy by adding green chili sauce, chopped green chilies, or red chili sauce.
This Vegetable Noodle Soup is perfect for light dinners or when you’re tired of elaborate meals. Enjoy it as it is or as a starter before your main course. The choice is yours.
Detail of How to Make Noodle Soup
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 10
Total time: 30
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
For Cooking Noodles
- Noodles, instant, whole wheat, or rice – can also use – 75 g (2 cups)
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Sesame oil or peanut oil or sunflower oil – 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped garlic – ½ tsp
- Chopped spring onions – ¼ cup
- Shredded cabbage – ½ cup
- Shredded carrots – ⅓ cup
- Diagonally thinly sliced French beans – ⅓ cup
- Thinly sliced capsicum (green bell pepper) – ¼ cup
- Water or vegetable stock – 4 cups
- Soy sauce (naturally fermented) or add as required – 2 to 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Rice vinegar or white vinegar or apple cider vinegar – ½ to 1 tsp
- Chopped spring onion greens – 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Chopped spring onion greens – for garnish – 1 tbsp
Steps to Prepare Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Heat 3 cups water, add ½ tsp salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame, add 75g noodles, and cook till al dente.
- Strain and rinse noodles. Set aside.
- Shred or chop vegetables as desired.
Make Noodle Soup:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add ½ tsp chopped garlic. Saute for some seconds till the raw aroma of garlic goes away.
- Add ¼ cup chopped spring onions and stir fry for a minute on medium flame.
- Add shredded veggies, stir fry for 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add 4 cups water (or veg stock), and bring to a boil on medium flame.
- When the soup comes to a rolling boil, then add 2-3 tsp soy sauce, salt, and black pepper.
- Add noodles, mix well, and simmer the soup for 5-6 minutes on medium flame.
- Add ½ to 1 tsp vinegar, and switch off the flame (or use lemon juice).
- Add chopped spring onion greens and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot, garnish with spring onion greens.
- Fill bowl with soup.
- Place noodles in the bowl using pasta tongs.
Noodle soup is a popular dish in East Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Himalayan states of South Asia. It includes noodles with various ingredients in a light broth, like rice, wheat, or egg noodles. Noodle soup.
Top noodles for soup: Rice, Ramen, Orzo, Egg, Acini de pepe. Rice noodles are fast-cooking and made from rice flour and water. Ramen noodles, especially in Winter Chicken Ramen, are great too. Orzo, Egg noodles, and Acini de pepe are other options. Enjoy them in soups, salads, and stir-fries.
Add acidic ingredients.
Lemon juice, vinegar, white wine, or tomato puree can liven up bland broths. They complement and enhance the flavors without masking them.