This Homemade Mac and Cheese (Macaroni and Cheese) is a classic, rich, creamy cheesy dish that will satisfy all your taste buds and cheese cravings. You’ll create the best Mac and Cheese ever.
Mac and cheese are made in various ways, but my family enjoys this recipe. I’ve used it for a while. This stovetop mac and cheese recipe uses basic ingredients and is ready in 25 minutes. Save this for busy weeknights. Plus, it’s easy enough that after making it a few times, you’ll probably have it memorized.
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese on the Stovetop
Cook Pasta :
- Heat water until boiling.
- Cook the pasta one minute less than the package instructions until al dente. I have used Elbow Macaroni. Feel free to use any tubular pasta for the recipe.
Tip: Double macaroni for thicker mac and cheese.
Make Roux :
While macaroni cooks, begin roux. Roux thickens with fat and flour, forming a base for creamy mac and cheese. To make the roux, start by:
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper; stir until smooth.
- Gradually pour milk, and stir until bubbling smooth.
- Avoid burning milk.
Toss the Pasta :
Finally, add cheese! Gradually blend in Cheddar cheese until it becomes velvety and liquefied. It is advised to grate your own cheese, as pre-shredded types don’t mix as effectively as block cheese.
When the macaroni is fully cooked, drain and coat into the cheese sauce until completely coated.
Macaroni and Cheese Add-Ins
This recipe is an excellent starting point, open to endless variations. Here are some ideas from us:
Add onion powder, Parmesan cheese, and a touch of cayenne pepper.
Experiment with different cheeses for taste. Combine white cheddar and a four-cheese Mexican blend.
Add diced ham and peas or diced chicken and broccoli.
Add yellow mustard and top it with crushed Ritz crackers.
How to Store Mac and Cheese
Store leftover mac and cheese in a sealed container for 3-4 days. To reheat, mix with milk/cream and warm in the microwave or on the stove, stirring occasionally.
Can You Bake This Mac and Cheese?
This stovetop mac and cheese offers convenience. If you have time and crave baked mac and cheese, follow these steps:
First three steps, then add desired toppings like breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and crackers. Bake at 350°F (177°C) for around 15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
The top three cheeses for mac and cheese are cheddar, gruyere, and parmesan.
Yes, mac and cheese can be vegetarian-friendly. Just ensure that the cheeses you’re using do not contain rennet, an enzyme derived from animal sources.
To make mac and cheese without milk, the best choice is to find something that has a similar texture and a milk flavor. Things like heavy cream, almond milk, oat milk, yogurt, cream cheese, and even pasta water all work very well in boxed mac and cheese.
Creamy Homemade Macaroni And Cheese
- 8 ounces 1 box elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 cups Milk
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat salted water in a big pot. Boil macaroni, stirring occasionally, until firm, about 8 minutes.
- Simultaneously, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper; stir until smooth, approximately 5 minutes.
- Gradually add milk while stirring. Keep stirring and cooking until smooth and bubbling (around 5 minutes), ensuring milk doesn't burn.
- Include Cheddar cheese and mix until it's melted, for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Drain macaroni and fold into cheese sauce until coated.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- For optimal outcomes, utilize block cheese and shred it.
- Add your preferred seasonings.
- Feel free to use any tubular shape pasta.
- Feel free Use any combination of cheese that you like.